Updated: Aug 20, 2020
Teenagers are sensation seekers, they always in a rush for new experiences and sensations ignoring the consequences. In those things, alcohol consumption is one of the major problem facing by teenage boys and girls which impairs psychological and physical development.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), teenage boys who are consuming alcohol are raised from 60 to 70% whereas for girls it has increased from 50 to 71 %. “Alcohol Causes Cancer”, it’s a universal fact and everyone knows it but most of the people unaware that alcohol consumption in adolescence is worse than that.
COMMON EFFECTS FOR TEENAGE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION
These effects related to it are not only limited to the adolescence stage, but it’s also a lifetime effect. An adolescent doesn’t mean they are complete men or women. In the adolescence stage, the body tries to complete the physical and psychological developments for the adult stage. Alcohol consumption will trigger all the metabolism and results in severe health complications. Here I have discussed, some common effects for alcohol consumption in both male and female teenagers.
· Memory problems
· Decreased pleasure sensing ability
· Delayed puberty
· Reproduction problems
· Relationship problems
TEENAGE BOYS ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION EFFECTS
Alcohol consumption makes people aggressive and does things which they are consciously repressed. They will damage property to vent their frustration, engage in quarrels and create violence. In some cases, it may lead to death because of Alcohol poisoning and some people will take risk to seek thrill and participates in bike racing and few commit suicide or become as Homicide and kills another person without intent to kill.
TEENAGE GIRLS ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION EFFECTS
In girls addition to above mentioned problems, society, ethics and moral problems will include. Recently, women are more prone to alcohol consumption and chances of addiction are more in women compared to men. In future, it may lead to reproduction problems and psychological problems other than that her child may have chances to develop health problems like Fetal alcohol syndrome.
WHAT HAVE TO DO, WHEN A PARENT CAME TO KNOW THEIR CHILD IS CONSUMING ALCOHOL?
Teenage alcohol consumption is not just a child immature decision to drink. In fact, a lot of causes and reasons behind it like genetics, social issues, psychological disorders, family or relationship problems, alcohol availability, alcohol advertisements, behavioural problems, home and surrounding environment etc.,
· Never argue with a teenager, it makes your child more stubborn and arrogant.
· Never abuse your child with words or physically, it will develop rule-breaking behaviour in your child.
· Don’t insult your child for his/her mistakes before anyone especially when you are with family or friends, it will make your child more aggressive.
· Don’t overthink about your family pride or society because your child is more important than others.
· Parents should talk with that child and know the reasons on what makes him drink.
· Educate the child about the consequences of alcohol consumption in a proper way.
· Know about your child’s friends and know about them and their influence on your child.
· Spend some time with your child when they feel alone or bored.
· If you want to prove your child opinion is wrong, don’t tell them they are wrong, instead help them in realizing their mistakes.
ALCOHOL IS A PERFECT SOLVENT WHICH DISSOLVES ALL YOUR HAPPINESS FOR A LIFETIME
If you thought you can’t control your child or couldn’t stop their alcohol consumption, don’t hesitate to consult psychologists. Manas will help you for all adolescent problems through psychological testing and online/offline counselling by maintaining confidentiality. We prefer client-centric counselling in most comfortable ways. Feel free to consult us, Manas is here to help you 24/7.
KATTA BHAGYA RATNAM
ADOLESCENT PSYCHOLOGIST at MANAS
#Alcoholconsumption #Teenagers #WorldHealthOrganization #Adolescence #Physicaldevelopment #Psychologicaldevelopment #Metabolism #Memory #Puberty #Reproductionproblems #Alcoholpoisoning #Suicide #Homicide #Alcoholaddiction #Fetalalcoholsyndrome #Rulebreakingbehavior #Aggression
*Note: All these pictures are taken from Google free sources.